2022-2023 Try-Out Information
May 10th, 11th, 12th
Please read and print out a copy of the try-out packet and read thoroughly with prospective athlete
Participation in All-Star Competitive Cheer
We understand that many athletes come from highly competitive all-star teams. While we appreciate the knowledge and experience gained from all-star cheerleading, we are forth coming regarding the time commitment that is required to be on Mater Dei Cheer. Therefore, we limit the participation in all-star cheerleading to level 6 Worlds Tumbling Teams ONLY, to allow elite level tumblers the opportunity to perform skills currently deemed illegal in high school cheerleading. Athletes are allowed to participate in all-star level 6 tumbling teams only if the coach/owner is willing to work with the schedule of Mater Dei Cheer.
Below are outlined expectations for any member who wishes to participate in all-star cheer as well as Mater Dei cheer.
- All weekends in January (with the exception of January 14th-15th) are designated as Mater Dei Priority
- January 16th-February 14th are Mater Dei high volume days and practice absences will not be allowed for all-star conflicts
- We require Mater Dei to take priority when scheduling conflicts arise
At Mater Dei, all athletes receive an academic grade for their participation in sports. As a result, if the above guidelines are not met, the athlete will be transferred out of cheer with a failing letter grade.
- Mater Dei Cheer has both Junior Varsity and Varsity level teams
- All levels participate in sideline cheer and competition cheer
Tumbling is REQUIRED for the varsity level team and highly suggested for the JV level. We put a large emphasis on tumbling daily and take outside classes as a team once a week at Magic All-Stars in Anaheim. We encourage those interested in trying out contact Magic, or your local gym, to get into tumbling classes ASAP. All tumbling is to be performed on a non-spring floor.
- Round of Back handspring tuck and above
- standing tuck and above
- Solid Round-Off Rebound
- Working stand back handspring with light spot or down a cheese mat
Although an athlete may have the varsity level tumbling skills, that does not ensure they will be placed on the Varsity Level team. Many variants go into the team placement including cheer background and stunting ability and position.
What to Wear to Try-Outs
- All athletes attending try-outs are required to wear Mater Dei dress code appropriate attire
- Sports Bras are not allowed
- Tank tops and shorts are recommended
- Cheer shoes recommended but not required. Athletic shoes are allowed (all athletes will be require to wear shoes while tumbling)
- Hair Up in HIGH Pony Tail