Track Summer Camp
2019 Track & Field Summer Camp
SUMMER CAMP IS ONLY FOR RETURNING (CURRENT) TRACK ATHLETES.
RUNNERS & PARENTS ARE REQUIRED TO SIGN UP FOR THE TEAM TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS. PLEASE SIGN UP FOR FREE BY FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS POSTED ON THE TEAM BULLETIN BOARD LINK.
Track Summer Camp is MANDATORY for all returning track athletes, otherwise the athlete will be removed from the team and REQUIRED TO TRY OUT AGAIN in the FALL to be placed back on the Track Team. Only Fall and Winter MD Sport athletes will be excused. Athletes will not be considered for enrollment in the 2018-2019 Block Athletic class if athletes do not sign up and attend Summer Track Camp. EVEN IF YOU ARE IN SUMMER SCHOOL, YOU ARE REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE IN SUMMER CAMP AFTER THE COMPLETION OF SUMMER SCHOOL. Attending SOME day is better than attending NO days!
THERE IS NO SUMMER CAMP FOR 1st year and/or INCOMING FRESHMAN ATHLETES. New athletes and/or incoming freshman cannot do track camp. RETURNERS ONLY. The only exception is if a new athlete or incoming freshman has documented results, track experience, and/or proven track ability to participate in camp. Email Coach Martinez for consideration. Coach Martinez will notify the athlete with his approval. No exceptions.
Track try-out information will be posted on our our Try-Out link. There are summer, fall, and winter try out dates.
Dates: July 8 - August 2nd, 2019, 9-11am
Place: MD Athletic Field or Track
Throwers Mini-Camp. There will be a throwers mini-camp for MD track athletes from July 9th to July 30th, every Tuesday and Thursday from 8-10am (discus from 8-9am). MD throwers are asked to sign up for the normal track summer camp and fulfill all the other requirements listed. Throwers should email Coach Martinez to get a special discount code to bring the cost down to $150 for the camp.
Distance runners are required to do Cross Country and Cross Country camp.
Registration Process: All steps must be completed prior to camp.
Step #1: Online Registration: Click here
There is no walk-up registration. Again, only for Returning Track Athletes, and MANDATORY!
Special Instruction for current/returning Mater Dei athletes regarding Appryse Re-Enrollment
New Athletes/Incoming Freshman/Transfers
- CLICK HERE to create your Appryse account. Once on the page, please scroll to the bottom and select ‘Click Here to Create an Account’
- After creating your account, you must upload a valid sports physical for your child.
- Your account will then be sent for review by the athletic training staff.
- Once enrollment is ‘Approved’, return to your home page and select the GREEN button (middle of the page) that says “TRYOUTS/ACTIVITIES”
- From the list on the left, select the sport/activity your child wishes to participate in. (ie: football tryouts, girls basketball tryouts, sailing, etc) DO NOT SELECT THE LEVEL (ie: Varsity, JV, Frosh/Soph)-
- Read the legal document on the right; both student and parent must sign at the bottom.
- You MUST Click on “GRANT CONSENT AND JOIN” to finish the process!
- CLICK HERE to log into your existing Appryse account. Once on the page, please scroll to the bottom and select ‘Click Here for Existing Account’. YOU DO NOT NEED TO CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT
- Select “RE-ENROLL FOR NEW YEAR” (middle of the home page)
- Go through the following pages and make any changes necessary ie: new address, emergency contact information, new health history, new medical insurance information, etc. If there are no changes to be made, then move to the next page.
- Sign the legal document at the end and submit (THIS MUST BE DONE FOR EACH CHILD IF YOU HAVE MULTIPLE CHILDREN AT MD)
- Return to your home page
- Upload new, up-to-date sports physical.
- Return to home page and select the GREEN button (middle of the page) that says “TRYOUTS/ACTIVITIES”
- From the list on the left, select the sport/activity your child wishes to participate in.
(ie: football tryouts, girls basketball tryouts, sailing, etc)
DO NOT SELECT WHAT LEVEL (ie: Varsity, JV, Frosh/Soph)
- Read the legal document on the right and both student and parent must sign at the bottom.
- You MUST Click on “GRANT CONSENT AND JOIN” to finish the process!
What will you be doing:
Track and field is a sport where your body is the apparatus. The stronger you are the better chance you have to win. No matter the amount of technical training, an athletically superior athlete will always have an advantage. Imagine if that superior athlete also had access to advanced technical training. The Mater Dei track and field program has all the resources needed to give every athlete the complete advantage. The summer is when athletes get stronger and more importantly, durable. Our summer training program is not a camp it’s the beginning of the season. The summer program is based around philosophy of Dan Pfaff (a world renowned track and field) who focuses on the body’s neurological response. The summer program also develops the functional strength and dynamic flexibility of each athlete.
Summer workouts cover three important elements: muscular endurance, dynamic flexibility, and proper movement patterns. The foundation to all sports is proper movement patterns, the skill set comes second. The reason for a complete summer program is to build a strong foundation leading into the fall program where athletes progress to higher intensity workouts, cardiovascular conditioning, and event specific movements. Skipping a proper warm-up before competition could potentially lead to injury the same concept goes with skipping the summer program. Our summer program is what gives the Mater Dei track and field program the edge.
XC/Track Block Athletic Class. The block athletic class is for varsity and potential varsity athletes. Placement requires Coach Martinez’s approval. Athletes can still be on the Cross Country and Track teams despite not being enrolled in the class. Cross Country runners are required to do Spring Track as a distance runner in order to be considered for this class, and remain in the class. Runners must commit to competing at League Prelims and Finals for Track, League Preview and Finals for Cross Country.
Please be advised that next year (2019-2020), enrollment will require registration in summer camp, either XC or Track, as well as 75% attendance in the summer camp. Athletes who also participate in outside club sports will not be considered for the XC/Track Block Athletic Class. Athletes that are enrolled in 2017-2018 class are not guaranteed to enrollment for next year (2018-2019).
Any enrolled athlete that QUITS the XC and/or TRACK team will not be allowed to continue weight lifting. They will have STUDY HALL during Blk. 4 for the remainder of the year if they are unable to transfer out.